Astral Diamonds are a form of uncommon, sometimes time-gated, in-game Currency in Neverwinter. There are far fewer opportunities to acquire Astral Diamonds than Gold. Astral Diamonds cannot be directly traded between players, but it can be used as trading currency in the Auction House to buy or sell items.
Forms of Astral Diamonds
Astral Diamonds come in two forms.
- Regular Astral Diamonds, which are the proper currency form and can be spent
- Rough Astral Diamonds, which must be refined before they can be spent
There is a daily limit (24,000) on how many Rough Astral Diamonds can be refined into Astral Diamonds; this is the mechanism by which the currency is time-gated.
Acquiring Rough Astral Diamonds
Rough Astral Diamonds can be acquired by the following means:
- Salvaging level 60 epic items in Protectors Enclave
- Rough Astral Diamonds can be acquired in daily quests from a Kobold NPC named Rhix (Located next to Wylie's Wondrous Bazaar in Protector's Enclave or on the players Toolbar).
- He rewards 1000-4000 Rough Astral Diamonds per quest. In addition once you are level 60 you can get a random daily quest from Lord Neverember - this one will reward double the amount of rough diamonds as compared to the equivalent quest from Rhix.
- Rough Astral Diamonds can be acquired through the Invocation system. (100-1000 Rough Diamonds per invocation, twice per day, per character.)
- Through the Leadership profession. (100-1600 rough diamonds per task)
- High tier missions in Sword Coast Adventures award Rough Astral Diamonds
Acquiring Astral Diamonds
Already Refined Astral Diamonds can be acquired by the following means:
- Selling items on the Auction House.
- Selling Zen on the Astral Diamond Exchange.
- Idols such as the [Jeweled Idol] given to Rhix (Acquired by spending Zen to open lockboxes) - 40k or 50k each depending on which lockbox.
- Purchasing the various official packs on http://nw.perfectworld.com/ - 600,000 or 2,000,000 depending on the pack purchased. Each pack can only be acquired 1 time per account.
Spending Astral Diamonds
- Many vendors that sell items for Astral Diamonds can be found across the land such as the Wondrous Bazaar.
- Many of the items offered are not available for gold, and the items are often higher quality.
- Buying items on the Auction House.
- Buying Zen on the Astral Diamond Exchange.
- Advancing through the Campaign system
- Many many other convenience options cost AD.
- On May 19th, 2013 a group of players found a bug in which they could endlessly duplicate Astral Diamonds using the Auction House. The Neverwinter team responded quickly by disabling both the Auction House and the Zen-to-AD exchange. Since fixing the bug, many accounts were banned and a rollback took place to attempt to correct the incident.